Saturday, March 13, 2010

The tragedy of the Omegle soul

This is the sad thing about this little experiment.

Occasionally - very rarely but it does happen - I get paired up with someone and I actually have a good time talking to them. In this instance, it turned out to be an almost-18-year-old girl from BC. She admitted she was frustrated with her romantic situation, how the guys she liked never liked her back. I gave her what advice I could (which was not much) and then we joked around about how much older I was than her (which is not much, but enough.)

After a few jokes, she said she had to get off and it was nice chatting. Then as soon as she disconnected (which I had wanted to at least delay) I accidentally hit "back" in my browser. And just like that, the conversation was obliterated.

And so it is. I make fun of Omegle a lot for its plethora of horny guys wanting to force themselves on anonymous girls, and how nobody on there really wants to talk about anything meaningful. But every so often it gives you a real human moment. But like every moment of our lives, they are fleeting, so cherish 'em. Especially the small ones, the ones that you know aren't going to change your life.

Enjoy every chance you have to connect with another human being, because in this day and age it seems to happen so rarely.

No comments:

Post a Comment